Skip to main content

Skip to main navigation

Participez à la conversation
Texte: Petit / Large

Class Action settlement for individuals who lived in various Ontario institutions

Décembre 12, 2016 - - Close Institutions

Update: This article has been revised to reflect the deadline extension date to Friday, April 28th, 2017. 

A Schedule 1 Facilities Class Action settlement was approved by the Superior Court of Justice on April 25, 2016 for individuals living in certain Ontario institutions from various years between 1963 to 1999.

This lawsuit says the Province of Ontario, who was in charge of the facilities (institutions), failed to properly care for and protect the people who lived in the institutions. The lawsuit says the people who lived there were emotionally, physically and psychologically traumatized by their experiences. The Province of Ontario denies these claims. 

The lawsuit is for people who were alive as of June 16, 2012 and had lived at one or more of the following institutions, or at any place the institutions put people before they were discharged, between the dates listed. Estate trustees of persons who lived there but died after June 16, 2012 are also included in the lawsuit.

April 28th, 2017 is the deadline to ask for money from the Schedule 1 class action settlement.  

If you lived somewhere on the list below, check the dates beside the name of the place where you lived.  If you lived there between those dates, then you may be able to get money from the settlement.

  • St. Lawrence Regional Centre in Brockville between April 1, 1975 and June 30, 1983
  • D’Arcy Place in Cobourg between September 1, 1963 and December 31, 1996
  • Adult Occupational Centre in Edgar between January 1, 1966 and March 31, 1999
  • Pine Ridge in Aurora between September 1, 1963 and August 31, 1984
  • Muskoka Centre in Gravenhurst between August 28, 1973 and June 30, 1993
  • Oxford Regional Centre in Woodstock between April 1, 1974 and March 31, 1996 or in the “Mental Retardation Unit” or “MR Unit” of the Oxford Mental Health Centre between January 1, 1969 and March 31, 1974
  • Midwestern Regional Centre in Palmerston between September 1, 1963 and March 31, 1998
  • L.S. Penrose Centre in Kingston between April 1, 1974 and March 31, 1977
  • Bluewater Centre in Goderich between April 1, 1976 and December 20, 1983
  • Durham Centre for Developmentally Handicapped in Whitby between April 1, 1974 and September 28, 1986
  • Prince Edward Heights in Picton between January 1, 1971 and December 31, 1999
  • Northwestern Regional Centre in Thunder Bay between April 1, 1974 and March 31, 1994

You do not need to go to court to make a claim. You just need to fill in a claim form. A support person can fill it in for you, but the cheque will have your name on it. 

You could get up to $2000 if you were harmed or hurt at a place on the list. You could get up to $42,000 if you write about how you were harmed or hurt. The money does not affect ODSP and you do not need to pay tax on it. 

Click here to get claim forms.

Click here to read about how to make a claim.

If you have questions about this, you can call 1-866-442-4465.TTY users can call 1-877-627-7027, or email You can also contact a lawyer at Koskie Minsky at:, or call 1-888-723-4304.